Sunday 27 June 2010

Is There Such a Thing as Natdar?

Whilst recently in Cardiff, I walked past a pub, the King's Cross, which had a rainbow flag flying outside. I was looking for somewhere to eat and so asked some people standing outside with their pints. After my meal, I returned for a drink to the King's Cross. It had sign bearing a portrait of the hetrosexually-challenged King James VI (James I of Wales). I ended up chatting to the guy who had given me the directions earlier. It turned out that he was Cllr. Layton (Percy) Jones of Plaid Cymru. We discovered we knew several people in common.

Gaydar is the ability of gay men to identify other gay men in majority straight company. Incidently, it is not really about physical atrraction; it is just about knowing they are the same as you. Gaydar is quite superfluous in establishments such as the King's Cross. Any straight guy there would, in any case, volunteer this fact as soon as you spoke to him. But could there be such a thing as Natdar - the ability of nationalists to spot fellow nationalists in otherwise non-political situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment